Maternity photoshoots are a beautiful and empowering way to celebrate an important milestone and capture the essence of motherhood. If you’re planning a maternity shoot, here’s a comprehensive guide to help you prepare.
Picking Your Maternity Shoot Location
When it comes to location, you have two main choices: in-studio or outdoor. Both have their unique charm and can create strikingly different aesthetics.
In-studio shoots provide controlled environments with the flexibility of multiple backdrops and prop choices. They allow for more looks and are less dependent on weather conditions.
Outdoor shoots, on the other hand, lend a natural, relaxed feel to your photos. They are best suited for the mild weather months of April-June and September-November. The intense heat of July and August or the biting cold from December to March may not be comfortable. Limit your outfits to two options for outdoor shoots to ensure an efficient session.
If you’re leaning towards an outdoor shoot, here are a few suggested locations:
- Local parks: An open space of lush greenery (or fall foliage) can create stunning photos.
- Beaches: The serene backdrop of water and sand brings a peaceful and calming aesthetic to the shoot.
- Urban settings: Brick walls, graffiti art, and city streets can give a modern and edgy feel.
- Forests and woodlands: The natural texture and colors of the trees can provide a beautifully dramatic setting.
- Botanical gardens: The variety of plants and flowers can add a touch of vibrancy and color to your photos.
- Historic or architectural sites: These can provide a classic and timeless backdrop for your pictures.
Deciding on Your Look and Style
Every expecting mother has their own personality and preferences when it comes to maternity photos. Some may prefer to be fully clothed, while others may choose to pose in a more dramatic or less clothed style. There is no right or wrong way to approach this – the most important thing is that you feel comfortable and confident during your photography session.
If you want to stay dressed, consider wearing solid or neutral colors that will highlight your bump. Avoid overly patterned outfits as they can distract from the main subject – your beautiful pregnancy glow and growing baby bump!
Preparing Your Photoshoot Essentials
Here’s a list of items you might want to bring to your session:
- Strapless bra
- Black, nude, and white bra & undies
- Matching lacy bra/undies
- Washed-out light blue jeans
- White tank top
- Oversized comfy sweater in light colors (tan, light gray, neutrals, or black)
- Calvin Klein bra/undies
- Ultrasound photos
What Partners Should Wear
Partners can complement the mom-to-be with solid-colored shirts, neutral-colored button-downs or t-shirts, and jeans. The idea is to keep the focus on the baby bump, so simplicity is key.
Preparing for a maternity photoshoot can feel overwhelming, but with the right planning, your session will be an unforgettable celebration of your motherhood journey!
At Keep It Captured Photography, we believe that a maternity photoshoot is one of the best ways to capture the uniqueness and exhilaration of pregnancy. We specialize in maternity photography providing full access to our closet of maternity dresses to our clients. We ensure that our shoots are tailored to meet the expecting mothers’ requirements, whether that be an outdoor shoot or an indoor one.
Let us help you capture your pregnancy journey, turning it into a timeless keepsake you will cherish forever.