Welcoming a newborn into the world is an emotional rollercoaster ride full of new experiences. As you navigate through the joyous days and sleepless nights, capturing these precious moments is crucial. A newborn photoshoot can help preserve these memories but preparing for one can feel overwhelming to new parents.
Here are a few tips to help you prepare for your newborn’s first photoshoot so you can have a stress-free, memorable experience.
Choose an In-Studio Session for Optimal Results
For newborn photography, opting for an in-studio session rather than an at-home session is better. This is because the studio atmosphere is specially designed to meet the needs of newborns, resulting in a successful and enjoyable photo shoot. Every aspect, from lighting to props, is carefully chosen to capture stunning images of your precious little one.
Book Your Session in Advance
To ensure availability and proper planning, booking your newborn photoshoot at least 3-4 months before your baby’s expected arrival is recommended. This way, you can reserve the perfect date for your session and have everything prepared, guaranteeing a seamless and stress-free experience.
For the most successful newborn session, it’s crucial to schedule it within the first 12-15 days of your baby’s life. This time frame allows the photographer to capture those adorable curled-up poses and achieve the desired sleepy and flexible state. Having the session early ensures the best possible outcome for your newborn’s portraits.
Keep Your Baby Comfortable
Ensuring your baby’s comfort during the photoshoot is essential for a successful and enjoyable session. Here are some important tips to keep your little one content throughout the process:
- Feed your baby before the session: It’s recommended to feed your baby about 20-30 minutes before the session time.
- Don’t forget the pacifier: Bringing a pacifier is important to soothe your baby during the session.
- Keep your baby awake before the session: If possible, try to keep your baby awake for about 1-1.5 hours before the session. This helps them become extra sleepy during the photoshoot.
- Consider bottle-feeding if necessary: If your baby is accustomed to bottle-feeding, it’s great to have a bottle on hand during the session. You can pump in the studio if needed, but please bring a minimum of 6 oz of formula or breast milk.
- Do not bring your own baby outfits: Dress your baby in minimal clothing so they can be easily undressed. You will be provided with high-quality newborn swaddles and outfit options at the studio.
Once you have all the necessary details, you can relax and let the magic unfold. Your baby’s first photo session is not only about capturing stunning images, but also about commemorating this exciting new phase of life and preserving those fleeting yet priceless moments.
At Keeping It Captured Photography, we specialize in newborn and family photography in Westchester, NY. We provide our clients with everything they need to have a successful experience, from a full wardrobe of clothing options for newborns, moms, and siblings to beautiful swaddles, headbands, hats, props, etc. The studio provides a relaxing atmosphere with incredible lighting, so you are guaranteed to get the best images possible while having a relaxing and enjoyable experience with your newborn.
Please fill out our contact form online or call (914)471-7938 to learn more about our professional newborn and family photography services. We’re excited to help you preserve these beautiful memories for years to come!